The National Democratic Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization that has supported democratic institutions and practices in every region of the world for more than three decades.
Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its local partners have worked to establish and strengthen political and civic organizations, safeguard elections, and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Gender Advisor / Senior Program Manager, Gender
Employment Type: Full-time
- The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks to hire a Senior Gender Advisor/Senior Program Manager, Gender who will be responsible for providing leadership and support to NDI’s gender programming initiatives, as well as developing strategies; delivering training; providing technical assistance; and developing resources/tools.
- This position provides support to NDI’s program and staff to mainstream and integrates standardized gender programming policies, strategies, and interventions.
- The position may also provide program-related support to other areas within NDI as required. Based in Abuja, Nigeria, this position requires regular travel to various States. The position is available immediately.
- The Gender Advisor will report to the Deputy Country Director, Programs. He/she will bear responsibility for the development and implementation of all NDI gender programming initiatives.
- Provide technical leadership across all Abuja-based programming to ensure all programs are designed and implemented to benefit men and women equally and promote gender-equitable democracy.
- Oversee women’s programming and team members working on those programs, including the Supporting Advancement of Gender Equality (SAGE) project, Stop-Violence against Women in Politics (Stop-VAWIP) campaigns, and others as developed.
- Conceptualize and implement gender programming and provide support as needed to project teams and partners and operational requirements.
- Work with program teams and external consultants as needed, to coordinate, organize, and manage gender programming and mainstreaming using existing NDI guidance and industry best practices.
Technical Leadership and Innovation/Research:
- Provide technical guidance to partners as needed on monitoring and evaluating their activities and successfully mainstream gender equality across their NDI-supported activities.
- Provide gender technical expertise and support to non-programming initiatives (research studies, assessments, consulting assignments, etc.
- Monitor and review literature, internet sites and conferences for best practices, latest thinking and concepts, research and methodology on gender issues, programming and capacity building. Disseminate resources and promote information and knowledge exchange.
- Strengthen the NDI office’s ability to deliver effective gender programming through training, communication, and the management of policies and guidelines to ensure ability to accomplish performance objectives.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning:
- As appropriate, coordinate and support evaluation efforts in one or more of the following four program stages: 1. Concept development, 2. Program design; 3. Program planning and 4. Program wrap up.
- Draft TORs/ work plans to provide technical expertise and support to gender related initiatives.
- Provide analysis of data to determine the quality and impact of program activities.
- Prepare monthly and support quarterly reports on program activities including background, descriptions of activities, evaluation of program performance and analysis.
- Draft activity, quarterly, and technical program reports that monitor and evaluate program performance and results as well as political developments.
- Ensure programmatic objectives are achieved as well as reporting requirements are adhered to.
- Oversee program budgets; ensure activity and trip budgets are prepared accurately and within the approved program budget.
- Track program expenses to ensure that the program activities remain within budget.
- Support budget alterations and expenses when necessary and apprise relevant staff when changes are necessary in the program and activity budgets
- Communicate regularly with Washington based regional and functional staff.
- Participate in staff meetings and present weekly program updates.
- Represent NDI to Nigeria organizations and the donor community as delegated by the Country Director.
- Develop, implement and/or manage other programmatic and administrative activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Social Sciences or related subject; graduate degree desired.
- Minimum of eight (8) years relevant work experience in gender issues, advocacy, political party organizational development and/or legislative affairs.
- Demonstrated work experience on women’s issues, gender equity, or related areas, particularly as they apply to political party politics.
- Experience in implementing organization and development programs funded by USAID or other bi- and multilateral donors.
- Oral and written fluency in English required.
- Experience in program design, strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation.
- Proven analytical skills for interpreting complex program and political issues and to think innovatively and introduce new concepts.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications with a seasoned budget and accounting skills.
- Experience with Google Apps suite (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired; Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations, which may be remote and difficult to reach.
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor and consultant as well as experience in organizing and conducting trainings and workshops.
- Excellent managerial and networking skills, as well as the ability to build and maintain cordial professional political relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills to effectively and persuasively present information, respond to questions and negotiate as well as share information with partners, donors and bilateral partners.
- The senior gender advisor/senior program manager, gender works with NDI’s Abuja and Washington-based regional staff. This position reports to the deputy country director with NDI’s Resident Director providing overall program guidance. Salary range is commensurate with experience. Benefits and a housing allowance are provided.
- NDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, political affiliation, religion, gender, disability, and/or sexual orientation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title as the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application deadline 15th January, 2021.
Leave a Reply