Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2021/003
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt or Non-exempt, Regular
Reports Directly to: Senior Procurement Officer
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Update contract tracking sheet on weekly basis
- Update On-going PR Master list with all assigned purchase requests and share with program team on weekly basis
- Printing Purchase Requests (PRs) in coordination with Operations Manager and Senior Procurement Officer; ensuring that PR is given to originator for appropriate signatures
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Update Completed PR Master list with all assigned PRs.
- Preparing payments for all assigned procurements
- File completed transactions as necessary
- Assist the Operations Manager and office staff with procurement activities, as required;
- Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- The Procurement Assistant will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats.
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by manager – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Interact with vendors, in coordination with Operations Manager; coordinating with Finance department to ensure payments are facilitated in a timely manner
- Ensure goods are received in accordance with Mercy Corps standards.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy
Knowledge and Experience
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree qualification with at least 2 years work experience.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks.
- Good spoken and written English.
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Abuja and will require travel to field offices in and around Mercy Corps Nigeria as and when required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document to: email@example.com the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 26th February, 2021.
Leave a Reply