The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate
Job ID: 34293
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Programme
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
- The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls. It was launched in September 2017 by the United Nations (UN) Secretary-General and the European Union (EU) High Representative and Vice President (HRVP). The Spotlight Initiative supports UN development system (UNDS) reforms to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: 3 Core Agencies (the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations Population (UNFPA) and UN Women) work together, with other relevant UN agencies, funds and programs (AFPs), making large-scale investments in priority countries.
- The Initiative will bring the UN system together, engaging relevant AFPs, in line with their respective mandates and capacities, to build on and scale up what works, including through complementing and supporting existing mechanisms and programs on eliminating violence against women and girls (EVAWG).
- The Initiative is funding an allocation of €250 Million for 8 African countries: Nigeria, Liberia, Niger, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Uganda and Mali where it seeks to eliminate sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV), harmful practices (HPs), and addressing related aspects of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHRs). In Nigeria, the Spotlight Initiative aims to support a Nigeria where all women and girls, particularly the most vulnerable, live a life free from violence and harmful practices.
- The Office of the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator (RCHC) coordinates five UN Agencies to implement the Spotlight Initiative in Nigeria- UN Women, UNFPA, UNDP UNICEF and UNESCO. The Resident Coordinators Office hereby solicit for applications from suitably qualified individuals for the post of a Programme Associate for the Spotlight Programme.
- Under the direct supervision of the Spotlight Coordinator, the Programme Associate will support overall protocol, logistics and administration processes, transactions and services of the Spotlight Programme Management Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the leadership of the Spotlight Coordinator, Programme Associate will be responsible for providing administrative support to the SI programme:
- Facilitate bookings for SI programme staff and partners via proper and transparent processes.
- Serve as principle point of contact on compliance issues with partners and program managers/officers.
- Monitor allocated partner agreements and budgets and ensure compliance with compliance manuals and donor guidelines.
- Ensure that all supporting documents are well kept for all transactions and for fixed assets.
- Maintains accurate inventoty of office equipment, furniture, software and accessories.
- Maintain an efficient filing system of documents as per the SI programme’s guidelines.
- Manages schedules/ calendars, makes travel arrangements, establishes internal administrative and reporting systems, and effectively handles problems and inquiries as appropriate.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the Spotlight Initiative team in matters relating to organizing of events, follow up and delivery of activity requests in a timely manner.
- Process domestic and international logistics for staff and partners and ensure that the processes are done through approved documentation following the programme’s procurement and administrative guidelines and policies.
- Prepare and submit a monthly logistics report to line supervisor.
- Advise line supervisor on issues related to contracted suppliers and service providers related to administrative works.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Business, Accounting, Public Administration, Political Science or related field. Certification in Administration, Business, Accounting or related field is desirable, but not a requirement.
- At least seven years of progressive responsible experience in programme administration, logistics, programme support service or other related area is required.
- Good computer skills (Windows, MS Word, Excel/Spread sheets, the internet/Web) is required with proficiency in the use of accounting Software
- Proven experience in interaction with a variety of stakeholders (communities, government, CSO, donors, UN agencies, local government, etc. for effective liaison, synergy and coherence in the preparation and delivery of project’s activities
- Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism
- Ability to work both in a team and independently and ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, required
- Should be willing and able to travel widely within the country
- Ability to perform a broad range of activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning, including dealing with multiple and routine tasks.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken) is mandatory.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Assesses work with critical eye
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Takes responsibility for and ensures high quality of own work
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Understands personal and team roles, responsibilities and objectives
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform .
- Reliably and consistently listens and interprets information and instruction correctly
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Meets goals and timelines for team deliverables
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge .
- Replicate Reliably: Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop)
Collaboration and Partnership:
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/ projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP.
Development Planning and Monitoring:
- Ability to develop business and planning processes at the national and local level and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Sustainable Development Goals:
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Knowledge of methodologies, asessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations.
- Ability to try out / test new ways of engagement and communications.
- Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things
Data and statistics for development:
- Knowledge of data and statistics analysis for 2030 Agenda for development and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Interested and qualified candidates should:Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd January, 2021
Leave a Reply