FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATIVE VOLUNTEER RECRUITMENT AT WATERAID NIGERIA.
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
The WaterAid Nigeria’s Programme Directorate is responsible for engaging with multiple stakeholders in the programmatic value chain to ensure delivery of quality programmes in line with the CP strategy and quality programme standards. With the state as the focus of our work to maximise impact, the position of the volunteer is to provide support to the state programme office to enable the achievement of increased access to WASH services in the state.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance and Administrative Volunteer
Duration: 6 Months
Department: Programmes Directorate
Reports to (title): State Programme Lead
Direct Reports: None
- WaterAid volunteering is intended to be a learning and development opportunity for young professionals to gain exposure and build skills through work in an international development organisation and potentially, form a crop of professionals with experience relevant to the international development or other professional sectors
- The volunteer will undertake receptionist and other administrative support functions at the state office in Bauchi. The post holder will be expected to be able to maintain the office facilities and also provide accurate information to visitors and staff.
- The post holder will serve as the custodian of petty cash and be responsible for day to day operation of the petty cash box in line with constituted authority approval, this includes payment, reconciliation, record keeping/documentation, security, compliance review and retirement. The volunteer with also be responsible for other finance related functions.
Front desk service:
- Attend to all visitors in a polite, professional and courteous manner.
- Answer all incoming calls and redirect them or keep messages, demonstrate courteous, positive and a helpful attitude in all interactions, including telephone conversations. Take complete messages in a professional and legible manner.
- Ensure front desk area is tidy, clean and presentable at all times and the ambience is maintained in line with profile of WaterAid.
- Apply appropriate discretion in managing information and documents of a sensitive nature; keeping hard copy documents received out of public view and not leaving them on the front desk, counters or unattended.
General administrative duties:
- Perform basic office support and document processing services such as typing, photocopying, spiral binding and drafting correspondences as requested.
- Provide logistics support for State workshop and meetings.
- Receive letters, mails and parcels and distribute them in a timely manner to recipients and processing outgoing despatch.
- Collect utility bills – water bills and process payments to service providers; monitor utilisation of electricity meters and purchase recharge /top up cards to avoid interruption of office power supply.
- Act as custodian of the stationery and office supplies storage.
- Support achievement of efficient office services; Take responsibility for basic maintenance of office facilities and premises and escalating complaints as necessary to colleagues.
- Oversee office cleaning to ensure cleanliness, tidiness and ambience for productive work.
Management of Office Equipment/ Office Supplies:
- Regularly check the appropriate functioning of office equipment, (intercoms, photocopiers etc.) make recommendations for repair or renewal and supervise maintenance of office equipment.
- Ensure stock levels of store are adequate, accurately analyse monthly stock to state’s budgets and ensure reconciliation of store data with finance record. Also ensure the security of the store.
- Attend to staff requisitions for toiletries and other items such as tea items, papers, etc.
- Arrange prompt repairs of damaged chairs, desk and other office furniture and fixtures; Liaise with State Programme Lead to purchase replacements when necessary.
- Maintain up to date records of all petty cash transaction on petty cash excel template. Ensure that all petty cash support documents are complete and accurate.
- Assist the Bauchi program team in the raising partner and activity fund request. Ensure timely petty cash replenishment request and retirement.
- Ensure all cash transaction are in compliance with Water Aid policy, donor and statutory requirement as well as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Carry out other finance-related task that may be assigned by the Finance team in Abuja and the Bauchi program team.
- Maintain confidentiality of financial and other job-related information.
- Maintain proper documentation and filling of all financial documents and ensure that petty cash is kept safe, secured and locked in petty cash box always.
- Ensure daily, weekly and monthly petty cash count and reconciliation. Ensure proper documentation of petty cash reconciliation and petty cash counts including surprise cash counts.
- Track petty cash disbursement for timely retirement/submission of receipts.
- Possession of a minimum of national diploma. Significant years of professional experience in a similar role may substitute for educational qualification
- Excellent people skills and ability to manage conflict/difficult situation
- High sense of responsibility/ Reliable
- Ability to manage information with discretion and confidentiality
- Common sense
- Good telephone etiquette
- Minimum of one-year work experience in a similar role in a formal /structured work setting.
- Pleasant and good-natured disposition with a ‘can do’ attitude /willingness to assist around the office.
- Excellent non-verbal, oral and written communication skills
- University degree in Accounting, Social Sciences, Humanities,
- Experience in office management and maintenance and handling petty cash.
Our People Promise:
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
- This is our pledge to you.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, Kindly complete the application form by clicking on the LINK above
- To apply for this role you must be resident in Bauchi State.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunity employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct
Application Deadline 4th January, 2021.
Leave a Reply