Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Job ID: 210000OA
Location: Lokoja, Kogi
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team: Nigeria Country Office
Reports to: Logistics Assistant
Post Type: National, full time
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
- Support the program, The driver will be responsible for transporting SCI staff and visitors between office and other locations, as well as equipment’s and materials, also Maintaining the vehicles, updating log sheet and vehicle report
Key Areas of Accountability
- Assist in ensuring that sub grantees (CSOs) have clear roles and responsibilities, and a strong understanding of all of Donor’s and Save the Children’s regulations and policies, especially the core policies such as; Child Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, Fraud & dishonesty policies, Anti-bribery and corruption policy and whistle blowing policy.
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
- Support the Head Driver with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
Control of Vehicles:
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Line Managers.
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s / he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
On the Road:
- Drive all SCI vehicles on the approve speed limit of SCI
- Ensure that the line manager is immediately informed of any accidents, the Accident report is filled immediately and the accident reported to the police as soon as possible.
- Safe transport of all staff, equipment, and materials
- In the event of a medical emergency lifts may be given on prior approval of the programme manager – see passenger policy for details.
- Ensures the safety of passengers at all times
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his line manager. After consulting a mechanic, the line manager will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility:
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- The driver is to ensure visibility protocols are adhered to at all times
Emergency Preparedness and Response:
- In case of emergency prepare to contribute to delivery of an appropriate and timely response.
- Must have qualified Secondary School Certificate Examination
- 2 year working experience working as a driver with reputable organizations (INGOs, Corporate, Government)
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Experience working in in a relatively insecure location
- Able to communicate with English, Yoruba, Igala
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience as a mechanic or auto-electrician desirable.
- Experience working in Kogi State desirable
- Possession of valid driving licence
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Hold self-accountable o vehicle management and records.
- Achieving and role modelling SCI values
- Set ambitious and challenging goals.
- Take responsibility of personal development
- Build and Maintain effective relationship with the team and colleagues
- Value diversity and good listener and easy to talk.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Develop new innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience:
- Administrative & General Skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th February, 2021.